(Parenthetical Thoughts) on Love and the Passive Voice

|
When The Supreme One created the universe, He did so with a series of verbal invocations, enunciating each one a nanosecond before the creation process began. (e.g. “Let there be light.”) In the Hebrew text, these are written as commands, fact which begs the question: Who was he commanding? No other beings had yet been spoken into existence.

I was brought to the place of execution only minutes before my sentence was to be rendered. I was offered nothing in the way of hood or face covering. I saw the man who had the pleasure of killing me. I looked into his eyes. I knew what he thought of me. I knew that he believed in his own moral authority, his dominion, so to speak. His eyes were a rich blue, bloodshot. His left eyelid drooped. He spoke in harsh tones. These, my friends, were my last words ...

Traveling at a hundred can make your head spin, but traveling at two will set your body a-shake. Now, back to the beginning of it all. The place that I didn't want to go to. The thing I didn't want to talk about. The end of time in the backwards direction. Traveling at two hundred, shaking the whole way.

When the music hits just right, the high gets better. And, you can feel it, stronger, coursing through your body as your head begins to tingle and your legs keep going going going, breaking through the pain and the exhaustion of it all. The sun beats down on your shoulders, and you realize your place in this world. A small, quiet place.

Tears rolled down her face. Mine, too. It suddenly felt cramped in my apartment. I had never felt that way with her nearby before.

We walked along the quais de la Seine. Notre-Dame eyeing us as we turned our backs to her. The boats, docked, and little kids skipping rocks off in the distance. At least, I imagine they were. Blinded. Aveugle. There were no word remembered, and nothing unsaid.

"The use of the passive voice is not a grammatical error. It is a stylistic issue that pertains to clarity—that is, there are times when using the passive voice can prevent a reader from understanding what you mean. [...] While the passive voice can weaken the clarity of your writing, there are times when the passive voice is OK and even preferable."

(Relating to the world through literary concepts is not for those who are not intrigued by what the written word has to offer to the greater good of our own human existence.)

Run-on sentence: I want to go back to where I was at another time when I thought I was strong before he said anything to me before I lost it all forever when I thought I was invincible and could conquer the entirety of the world with a few words and a writing pad and a dream and perhaps some coffee with sugar cubes.

Fragment: In Rouen, France.

Metaphor: The whole of a thunderous storm came on quickly and I was caught in the eye of a mighty whirlwind.

Simile: It was like the end of time before it ever got the chance to begin.

Hyperbole: The world came crashing down, killing all those in stead, no survivors to be heard of. No one, even, to listen for them.

Quotation:

"It was me on that road
But you couldn't see me
Too many lights out, but nowhere near here

It was me on that road
Still you couldn't see me
And then flashlights and explosions"

Interrogative sentence(s): Where did that time of my life go? Did I lose it forever?

(My legs pain me after the run.)

At first, she didn't want us to know each other. She was weary of introducing us. She didn't want her friends dating. She didn't like the idea of seeing us together. She called each of us separately. She compartmentalized us. One plus one. Minus another. One and one. One next to one. One behind one. All of these things. We were not. Denied. Closed.

And then we were. She only saw us a few times, though. We had moved. We had become "old friends". The ones you see for dinner or coffee when you're both in town. 'Tis all, my dear, 'tis all.

(The train: everymorningeverydayeveryeveningRouenParisRouen. I slept, mostly. And I still associate that song with the gentle rocking of the train. "Ici, Paris-St. Lazare." "Ici, Rouen-Rive Droite." Same river.)

I left everything behind when he said: "I thought you were stronger."

He had left much earlier.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your words are beautiful and your experience entangling. Of course I know this story from back to front with many years under my belt as your confidant however, the story changes with time. The details secured in a vault that leaks secrets only to those who know the true order. Bit by bit the breadth of your toil seeps through, and I have nothing but time to wait…

Anonymous said...

Not who; what.

Your prose is thought provoking. The kind of words you read slowly, to savor... like eating fine chocolate.